Powered by Blogger.

Rich

Rich
My prince charming!

Frita

Frita
My STRONG 7 year old.

Bubba

Bubba
My sweet 4 year old.

Little Lou

Little Lou
My happy 2 year old

The Stockpile!

The Stockpile!
My one and only shelving unit for my stockpile.

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Frankie the Lizard lays eggs!

Back in November Rich took the kids to San Antonio to visit his parents and so I could get some much needed r&r.  But that did not happen I ended up getting some much more needed cleaning.  While he was there he aquired a new pet for us.  This is how it went down.  Rick (Richard's dad) was pulling into his driveway and said "Rich jump out and grab that alligator lizard!"  Yes I said alligator lizard, not that it has teeth but resembles one.  Well this lizard came home in a small terrarium in which I quickly reminded Richard that there was a ban on any critter that ate, pooped or that I had to clean up after.  Richard assured me that it was only until Thanksgiving when the cousins would come over and meet it. 

Well long story short and ole Frankie has grown on me.  Since he was a new member of our family I figured I should google it.  After some not so careful sexing Frankie was declared a boy.  Bubba was overjoyed that a boy had joined the family. 

A few months later Frita came running in as we were getting ready for church and said "Frankie laid eggs."  Richard's response was "Frankie can't lay eggs he's a boy."  My question was "Are you sure?"  Frita and I ran to check and sure enough there were a few eggs.  We ran back to the boys saying "Frankie's not a boy!"  Bubba immediately broke down saying "He can't be a girl! He can't be a girl! There are too many crazy girls in the house!"  Poor Bub.  There are 3 human girls and 2 girl dogs and now 1 girl lizard.  That's a 6:2 ratio of girls to boys.  Were working on that:)

Over the next couple of days we found out the few eggs turned into 29 eggs in all.  We did attempt to incubate them unsuccesfully, darn.


Turns out Alligator Lizards are the best pet ever.  She moves in slow motion, lets the kids man handle her, poops once a week (in a small turd that can be picked up and flushed), eats crickets that we buy every other week and does not smell.  I've only cleaned out her terrarium once since November!

No comments:

Post a Comment