Powered by Blogger.

Rich

Rich
My prince charming!

Frita

Frita
My STRONG 7 year old.

Bubba

Bubba
My sweet 4 year old.

Little Lou

Little Lou
My happy 2 year old

The Stockpile!

The Stockpile!
My one and only shelving unit for my stockpile.

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Baked Potato Soup - Bennigan's Style and some Potato Skins too.

.
.
.
I very much miss Bennigan's especially the Monte Cristo with the raspberry dipping jam and the Baked Potato Soup so I went on a mission to find a descent recipe.  I may tweak it a little next time but for the most part it was yummy and Richard and all the kids ate it like champs.
Here it is!

3 lbs potaoes (medium size)
1 T. butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions but I added some leeks too
2 T. minced garlic
1 can of chicken broth- I put in 1.5 cups made from bouillon
3 cups of milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper - I used white pepper
optional toppings- bacon bits, shredded cheddar cheese, chives

...Preparation...

Scrub the potatoes and pierce each one with a fork a few times.  Bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.  You will want to flip them once half way through.  Remove from the oven, let cool enough to handle, then peel the potatoes (BUT WAIT- Bennigan's also used to sell potato skins which I also loved) so I cut the potatoes in half and scooped out the middle making sure I had 3 potatoes worth of cubed potatoes and then the rest I mashed.  I froze the potato skins so that we can make them later.  Melt butter in large pot.  Stir in the chopped onions/leeks and minced garlic.  Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until soft- do not brown.  Stir in the mashed potatoes; mix thoroughly.  Add the chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper.  Cook and stir over medium heat for a few minutes.  Reduce heat, cove and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the cubed potatoes, stir, and cook for a few more minutes or until heated through.  Add any desired toppings to individual servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment